South Carolina Workers Compensation Frequently Asked Questions

South Carolina Workers Compensation Frequently Asked Questions

In South Carolina, workers’ compensation provides compensation and benefits, temporary disability and permanent disability payments to an injured worker.  These payments are usually meager and inadequate and do not cover pain and suffering.  Workers’ compensation also does not provide punitive damages to punish an employer for poor safety controls or dangerous conditions.  If you or someone you know has been suffered a workplace injury, it is important for you to contact a workers’ compensation attorney to understand your legal options.  You may be able to pursue a case outside of the workers’ compensation system.

[toggle text=”Why do I need a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?” initial=”none”]

Workers’ compensation laws are very complex… Your employer will have an insurance company that is fully versed in the nuances of your state’s laws to represent his interests. To level the playing field, it is important that you seek the help of an experienced workers’ compensation attorney when you are injured on the job.

It is particularly important to consult with a workers’ compensation attorney if your injuries are severe. You may be entitled to benefits that cover medical expenses, lost wages, and rehabilitation expenses. Also, if your injuries are serious enough to prevent you from earning a decent wage in the future, you may be able to collect damages related to lost future wages as well.

Your employer’s insurance company will do everything possible to minimize payouts made on your claim. In some cases, they may even deny your claim. A workers’ compensation attorney will help ensure that you receive the appropriate damages for your injuries and help prevent insurance companies from trying to unjustly deny your claim.

It is essential to consult with an attorney if:
[ul style=”3″]
[li]You don’t receive the proper amount for your claim[/li]
[li]Your employer retaliates against you or fires you for filing a claim[/li]
[li]Medical care is denied[/li]
[li]You earned a very high wage before the injury[/li]
[li]A third party’s negligence contributed to your injury[/li]
[li]You will be unable to return to work after your injury[/li]
[li]You have a permanent disability as a result of your injury[/li]
[li]Your claim is outright denied[/li]

Many lawyers deal with these matters on a daily basis and can help walk you through this confusing process. There are many variables for you to think about after sustaining a work-related injury, including:
[ul style=”3″]
[li]Choosing the right doctor[/li]
[li]Filling out your claim form properly[/li]
[li]Documenting every aspect of the incident and your injuries[/li]
[li]Dealing with insurance companies[/li]

A workers’ compensation lawyer can help ensure that you don’t overlook any of these important steps.



[toggle text=”What is Workers’ Compensation? ” initial=”none”]

Worker’ Compensation is an insurance policy your employer must carry to make sure that employees injured at work can obtain necessary medical treatment and financial assistance for lost wages, plus additional compensation for any work-related injury, sickness, or disease that causes total or partial impairment to work. Workers’ compensation is available regardless of fault when the injury arises out of, and in the course of, employment.[spacer height=”20″]

By law, every South Carolina employer with four or more full-time employees must have workers compensation insurance.[spacer height=”20″]

The protection provided under the South Carolina Workers Comp Act is only the beginning of your right to compensation for a workplace injury.


[toggle text=”Who qualifies for workmans’ comp benefits?” initial=”none”]

Any full-time employee (working for an employer with four or more employees) who has an employment related injury and needs medical attention should be covered under workers’ compensation insurance. It doesn’t matter if the injury was a complete accident or the fault of a co-worker.[spacer height=”20″]

The employee MUST notify his or her employer within 90 days of the injury or risk losing the right to benefits under workers compensation. (It is recommended that you record details of your accident and to whom you reported it.)


[toggle text=”What qualifies as a Workers’ Comp Injury?” initial=”none”]
[ul style=”3″]
[li]Physical injury; or[/li]
[li]Repetitive injury: an injury acquired by repeating the same acts over and over through work. This could be accumulative hearing loss, debilitating back pain, carpel tunnel, neck pain; or[/li]
[li]Disease: an occupational disease is one that is acquired because of your job such as lung diseases (ex. Asbestosis) from work environments and hazardous work-related materials, or disease contracted because your work in a hospital; or[/li]
[li]Mental issues: Mental issues from extreme or unusual work conditions or from an ongoing work injury.[/li]
[toggle text=”How do I report an on-the-job injury?” initial=”none”]

Report all injuries at work to your employer immediately and request medical treatment, if needed. If you neglect to report the injury within 90 days of the accident you may lose your benefits.[spacer height=”20″]

Although you must report the injury within 90 days, you have up to two years to file a claim for benefits. If a worker dies because of work-related injuries, the worker’s dependents, or parents if there are no dependents, must file a claim within two years of the death to claim benefits.

[toggle text=” How do I file a claim? ” initial=”none”]

You may personally file a claim if your employer does not report your accident, denies your injury by accident, or if you believe you did not receive all of your benefits.[spacer height=”20″]

To file a claim you must submit a Form 50 or Form 52 to the Commission. If you are unable to download these forms please contact the Commission’s Claims Department at (803) 737-5723 to request the forms be mailed to you.[spacer height=”20″]

When filing a claim on a Form 50 or Form 52, mark the box at the signature line which states “I am filing a claim. I am not requesting a hearing at this time.”

[toggle text=” What medical treatment am I entitled to receive? ” initial=”none”]
You are entitled to all necessary medical treatment that is likely to lessen your disability. Workers’ compensation generally pays for surgery, hospitalization, medical supplies, prosthetic devices, and prescriptions. Keep in mind that in order to receive these benefits you must go to the doctor chosen by your employer or its insurance representative.[/toggle]
[toggle text=” How is the compensation rate determined? ” initial=”none”]
You are entitled to compensation at the rate of 66 2/3 percent of your average weekly wage based on the four quarters prior to your injury, but no more than the maximum average weekly wage determined each year by the South Carolina Employment Security Commission. If you were working two or more jobs at the time of accident, those wages may be included as part of the average weekly wage and compensation rate.[/toggle]
[toggle text=” Will I get compensated for missing time from work because of my injury?” initial=”none”]

There is a seven-day waiting period before benefits can be paid. If you are out of work for more than seven days, payments will come from your employer’s insurance representative. If you are out of work for more than 14 days, you will receive compensation even for the first seven days.[spacer height=”20″]

You can expect payments to be made directly to you and these should continue until the doctor releases you to return to work.

[toggle text=” When are my benefits terminated? ” initial=”none”]

After the doctor releases you to return to work with or without restrictions, within 150 days of notification of the accident, you should receive two copies of Form 15 with Section II completed indicating that compensation has been stopped and for what reasons.[spacer height=”20″]

If the insurance carrier stops your compensation, and if you disagree, complete Section III of the Form 15 and send it to the Commission’s Judicial Department. This is your way to request a hearing to be held in sixty days.[spacer height=”20″]

If the Doctor releases you to return to work after the 150-day notification period, your employer or insurance representative will ask you to sign a Form 17, (receipt of compensation ) after you have been back to work for fifteen days.

[toggle text=” What if the doctor releases me to light duty? ” initial=”none”]

You must accept light work if it’s offered. If you do not accept, all compensation may cease as long as you refuse to return to work. You have a right to a hearing if you believe that you are not able to do the work assigned to you.[spacer height=”20″]

If you return to light work before you are fully discharged by the doctor at a wage less than you were earning at the time of your original injury, you are entitled to weekly compensation at the rate of the sixty-six and two-thirds (66 2/3%) percent of the difference between your average weekly wage and your new wage.

[toggle text=” What if I receive an impairment rating or have a scar? ” initial=”none”]
When the doctor releases you with an impairment rating or if you have a non-surgical scar that can be seen at least eight feet away, the insurance carrier will request an informal conference/viewing. This is an opportunity for you to meet with a representative from the commission and the insurance carrier to determine the amount of compensation due.
[toggle text=” What is a Workers’ Compensation hearing? ” initial=”none”]

The workers’ compensation commissioners conduct a hearing to resolve disputes between you and your employer’s representative. You may apply for a hearing if your employer does not report your accident, denies your injury by accident, or if you believe that you did not receive all your benefits.[spacer height=”20″]

You may download the form to apply for a hearing online or obtain it by contacting the commission’s judicial department at (803) 737-5675 or by email to[spacer height=”20″]

Do I get reimbursed for my travel expenses when I go to the doctor?[spacer height=”20″]

Yes, if the round trip distance is more than ten miles from your home. You should be reimbursed for the round trip mileage at the rate allowed state employees for mileage.[spacer height=”20″]

[toggle text=” Can I get a second opinion if I am not happy with the doctor to whom the insurance carrier refers me? ” initial=”none”]
You can talk to the insurance carrier and see if he or she will allow you to go to another doctor, or you can request a hearing by completing Form 50 and have a Commissioner make a determination on the case.
[toggle text=” Who sends me my weekly check? ” initial=”none”]
Your employer is required to have workers’ compensation insurance if they have four or more employees and the insurance carrier will be responsible to pay compensation to you if you are out of work for more than seven days. [/toggle]

(Source: South Carolina Workers Compensation Commission)[spacer height=”20″]

South Carolina Serious Personal Injury Accident FAQs

There may never be a time in your life where you feel more confused and financially insecure than when you suffer a serious injury.  If you are injured in an automobile accident, you should resist settling your claim quickly with any insurance carrier until you have received all the medical care you need and you have reached maximum medical improvement.

In South Carolina, a person injured in an accident because of the fault or negligence of another, you have up to three (3) years to bring a law suit to recover your damage.   While it is certainly not a good idea to wait 3 years until the last minute to bring suit, it is often wise to wait more than few months and perhaps up to a year to make sure you have recovered from your injuries before settling or bring suit.  Once you settle with an insurance company and sign their release forms, you will be forever barred from seeking additional compensation if it turns out you require additional medical care for your injuries.

The experienced trial lawyers at Smith & Haskell Law Firm, LLP, located in the Upstate of South Carolina in Spartanburg, represent individuals who have suffered a serious personal injury or personal injury as the result of an accident. If you have been injured, contact the South Carolina serious personal injury attorneys today for an initial consultation to discuss your legal options. Don’t wait, take action today.

Choose a South Carolina Personal Injury Accident Lawyer & Personal Injury Litigation Attorney Spartanburg, Greenville, Upstate SC

Located in the Upstate of South Carolina in Spartanburg, we serve Spartanburg, Greenville and surrounding counties. If you or someone you know has been involved in an serious personal injury or personal injury accident, we encourage you to contact a personal injury lawyer at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm, LLP today at 864.582.6727 to schedule an appointment today to discuss the legal options. We are ready to put our experienced personal injury attorneys to work for you.

The Total Advocacy Firm” Since 1926 | Serving the State of South Carolina | Spartanburg County | Greenville County | Anderson County | Chester County | Laurens County | Pickens County | Richland County | York County | Cherokee County | Union County | Oconee County