Probate & Estate Administration
Probate & Estate Administration
Probate & Administration of Estates Lawyer
Probate & Estate Law Attorney Spartanburg, Greenville, Upstate SC
Our Probate of Estates Law practice at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm provides a broad range of Probate, Estate Planning and Estate law services for people in Spartanburg, Greenville, and Upstate surrounding areas and throughout South Carolina. If you have lost a loved one, and are facing the complex probate process, we can help. Our Probate of Estates attorney at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm can help to alleviate the burden you face by assisting you through this difficult time.
South Carolina Probate Process Requires a Probate and Estate Lawyer
Probate is a court proceeding and the judicial process by which a person’s final debts are settled and legal title to property is formally passed from the descendent to his or her beneficiaries and heirs. The probate process is initiated in the county of the decedent’s legal residence at death and the person named in the will as the Executor will oversee completing the decedent’s affairs. The Executor will collect and distribute the assets. In the absence of a will, someone must petition the court to be appointed as the personal representative and perform the same function as an Executor.
Probate steps the Administrator or Executor is responsible for:
- Validating a will, if there is one, and resolving will contests
- Petition to appoint Executor (in the case of a Will) or Personal Representative for the estate.
- Obtaining court approval of the named personal representative
- Filing of a petition with the proper probate court and all notification requirements
- Collecting assets, inventory, and appraisal of estate assets by Executor/Administrator
- Resolving probate litigation or trust litigation as it arises
- Preparing final inventory and estate administration closing documents
- Closing the estate
- Notice to heirs under the Will or to statutory heirs (if no Will exists).
- Payment of estate debt to rightful creditors and disputing creditors’ claims as necessary
- Sale of estate assets.
- Preparing, filing, and paying estate taxes
- Final distribution of assets to heirs.
Our experienced Probate of Estates and Estate Administration attorney at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm provides a broad range of probate and estate administration services and will work to wrap outstanding issues quickly and efficiently as possible. We provide probate and estate services in cases where there is no will and designated executor.
Choose a South Carolina Probate of Estates, Administration of Estate Law Attorney Spartanburg, Greenville, Upstate, SC
Our Probate of Estates and Administration of Estates attorney at the Smith Law Firm, LLP will help you navigate through the complexities of the county and South Carolina probate laws and rules. Our experienced Estate Law attorney will work to identify any potential problems and efficiently execute the necessary and required probate tasks.
If you have lost a loved one and are faced with Probate and Estate law matters or Estate Administration, we encourage you to contact our Probate and Estate Law attorney to discuss your situation with the Smith & Haskell Law Firm today at 864.582.6727 to schedule an appointment. Don’t wait and act now!
Smith & Haskell Law Firm provides Elder Law, Estate Planning & Estate Law, Probate & Administration of Estates, Mediation & Alternative Dispute Resolution by Certified Probate Court Mediator legal services to clients in Upstate of South Carolina, Spartanburg, Greenville, Anderson, Chester, Laurens, Pickens, Richland, York, Cherokee, Union County, Oconee & throughout South Carolina.