South Carolina Probate of Estates Lawyer
Probate of Estates Attorney Spartanburg, Greenville, Upstate SC
The probate of estates attorneys at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm, provide a broad range of probate and estate law litigation services for people in the Spartanburg, Greenville, and Upstate surrounding areas and throughout South Carolina. If you have lost a loved one, and are facing the complex probate process, we can help. The probate of estates attorneys at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm can help to alleviate the burden you face by assisting you through this difficult time.
South Carolina Probate Process Requires a Probate and Estate Lawyer
Probate is a court proceeding and the judicial process by which a person’s final debts are settled and legal title to property is formally passed from the descendent to his or her beneficiaries and heirs. The probate process is initiated in the county of the decedent’s legal residence at death and the person named in the will as the executor will be in charge of completing the decedent’s affairs. The executor will collect and distribute the assets. In the absence of a will, someone must petition the court to be appointed as the personal representative and perform the same function as an executor.
Probate steps the administrator or executor is responsible for:
- Validating a will, if there is one, and resolving will contests
- Petition to appoint Executor (in the case of a Will) or Personal Representative for the estate.
- Obtaining court approval of the named personal representative
- Filing of a petition with the proper probate court and all notification requirements
- Collecting assets, inventory and appraisal of estate assets by Executor/Administrator
- Resolving probate litigation or trust litigation as it arises
- Preparing final inventory and estate administration closing documents
- Closing the estate
- Notice to heirs under the Will or to statutory heirs (if no Will exists).
- Payment of estate debt to rightful creditors and disputing creditor claims as necessary
- Sale of estate assets.
- Preparing, filing, and paying estate taxes
- Final distribution of assets to heirs.
The probate of estates attorneys at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm provide a broad range of probate and estate administration services and will work to wrap outstanding issues quickly and efficiently as possible. We provide probate and estate services in cases where there is no will and designated executor.
Choose a South Carolina Probate of Estates Attorney Spartanburg, Greenville, Upstate, SC
A probate of estates attorney at the Smith Law Firm, LLP will help you navigate through the complexities of the county and South Carolina probate laws and rules. Our experienced probate of estates attorneys will work to identify any potential problems and efficiently execute the necessary and required probate tasks.
We provide probate of estate services in Spartanburg county, Greenville county, Anderson county, Chester County, Laurens county, Pickens county, York county, Richland county, Cherokee county, Union county and Oconee county.
If you have lost a loved one and are faced with probate and estate matters, we encourage you to contact a probate of estates attorney to discuss your situation with the Smith & Haskell Law Firm today at 864.582.6727 to schedule an appointment. The probate of estates attorneys at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm can help, don’t wait and act now.
The Total Advocacy Firm” Since 1926 | Serving the UpState of South Carolina | Spartanburg County | Greenville County | Anderson County | Chester County | Laurens County | Pickens County | Richland County | York County | Cherokee County | Union County | Oconee County