Power of Attorney Lawyer
Elder Law Powers of Attorney Lawyer Spartanburg, Greenville, Upstate SC
The elder law attorneys at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm, LLP, provide a broad range of elder law services and various Powers of Attorney for people in the Spartanburg, Greenville, and Upstate surrounding areas and throughout South Carolina. We are committed to helping people and families, while focusing on providing attentive and compassionate legal counsel; navigating you through every step in the legal process while protecting your interests and advocating for your rights.
A Power of Attorney is a legal document that provides written authorization to represent or act on anothers behalf in private affairs, business, or some other legal matter. There are three categories of powers of attorney: the durable power of attorney, non-durable power of attorney and springing power of attorney. Our elder law lawyers can assist in the recommendation and drafting of each type.
Our elder law lawyers at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm, LLP will discuss the best Powers of Attorney for your situation and the legal requirements in order to draft and execute a Powers of Attorney document.
Requirements for Powers of Attorney
- Require the agreement of both parties; and
- The beneficiary of care must be legally competent to enter into the agreement;
- He or she must have the mental capacity to understand the agreement;
Durable Power of Attorney continues to be in effect even if the beneficiary becomes incapacitated and it lasts until death, while a non-durable Power of Attorney is no longer in effect if the beneficiary becomes incapacitated. By having a properly executed Durable Power of Attorney family member will be able to properly and legally manage matters including:
- Financial matters: authorized signature on banking accounts, pay bills, manage financial, investment and business affairs, perform retirement planning activities, sell property, obtain insurance and pay taxes
- A Health Care Power of Attorney gives decision-making authority for health care matters, provide access to HIPAA protected health information, the ability to complete medical forms, negotiating and contracting for medical or professional services, and the authorization and decision of a move to a nursing home, hospital or long-term care facility
Choose an Elder Law Powers of Attorney Lawyer, Spartanburg, Greenville, Upstate SC
Your individual and family situation is unique and should be treated as such. The elder law attorneys at the Smith & Haskell Law Firm, LLP will draft a Powers of attorney meet your specific needs and situation. Our experienced elder law attorneys can assist you in ensuring the document created includes only those specific areas of authority that you wish to delegate in the Powers of Attorney document.
Every family’s situation is different and unique. We encourage you to contact an elder law attorney to discuss your estate and Power of Attorney requirements with the Smith & Haskell Law Firm, LLP today at 864.582.6727 to schedule an appointment.
The Total Advocacy Firm” Since 1926 | Serving the UpState of South Carolina | Spartanburg County | Greenville County | Anderson County | Chester County | Laurens County | Pickens County | Richland County | York County | Cherokee County | Union County | Oconee County