Rated Highest Level of Professional Excellence
William McBee Smith
Attorney at Law & Certified Mediator
William McBee Smith is a highly experienced civil trial lawyer and counselor at law handling cases throughout South Carolina in state and federal courts since 1988. Mr. Smith is a Certified Circuit Court Mediator in the State of South Carolina assisting parties to resolve civil disputes in accident cases, contract disputes, and property disputes. Mr. Smith has received the AV Preeminent Rating®* by Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Rating organization which signifies that his peers and clients rank him at the “highest level of professional excellence.”
William McBee Smith
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- State and Federal Civil Litigation, Trials and Appeals.
- Serious accident cases and wrongful death cases in State and Federal Court
- Business cases and contract disputes
- Real Estate cases and disputes
- Administrative law cases.
- Probate Court to contest wills, to assert claims against estate and to assert claims on behalf of estates against deceased individuals. Mr. Smith’s practice in probate court also includes the probate of estates, family and estate disputes.
- Education law representing school districts and local colleges in the upstate of South Carolina.
- Worker’s Compensation claims.
- Charity representations of non-profit organizations in South Carolina as part of the firm’s commitment to the community.
Smith is a Board Certified Mediator for Circuit Courts in South Carolina. Civil mediation is an effective alternative to resolving expensive and complicated legal disputes. The mediation process is substantially cheaper, quicker and a less stressful process to the parties than litigation.
Smith graduated from The Citadel in 1980 and from the University of South Carolina where he received his Juris Doctor in 1988. He is a Graduate of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy 1990 and Master Advocate Graduate of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy 1994.
Smith is a member of the South Carolina Bar Association, the Spartanburg County Bar Association, and the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel. He was admitted to practice in 1988 by the South Carolina Supreme Court, the United States District Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
Smith’s civic involvement includes being a member of Rotary International, Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce, a board member of St. Luke’s Free Medical Clinic, a board member of Palmetto Council Boy Scouts of America and a member of the Citadel Alumni Association.
SPECIAL WORK HISTORY
- Smith & Haskell Law Firm (1988-present)
- Assistant County Attorney for Spartanburg County (1988 – 2011)
- Air Force Intelligence Service (Reserves (1984 – 1993)
- United States Air Force (Active Duty 1980 -1984)
The Total Advocacy Firm” Since 1926 | Serving the UpState of South Carolina | Spartanburg County | Greenville County | Anderson County | Chester County | Laurens County | Pickens County | Richland County | York County | Cherokee County | Union County | Oconee County